Since the 1980s the VW GTI wowed the hearts and minds of so many people and it continues to do so even now as it is about to release its redesigned 8th generation.
Not much was changed as the new GTI retains features from its previous versions. It has the same wheelbase of 103.8 inches and rides on an updated version of the current MQB platform.
What features does the car possess?
- The 2.0-liter turbo I4 makes 242 horsepower (United States) figures, this is what makes the GTI engine more powerful. The horsepower went up from 228 on the current GTI. It puts out 273 lb-ft of torque in comparison to the current 258lb-ft.
- 6-speed manual or a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic which will send torque to the front wheels as this new model will be exclusively front-wheel drive.
- The chassis will feature a strut-type front suspension and a multi-link rear suspension with VW’s DCC adaptive damper.
Driver assists include a pedestrian detector, collision warning, lane-keep assist, a heads-up display, and emergency braking.
- 2022 GTI will also feature a 10.25-inch digitized instrument cluster with a touch panel to the left on the cluster and another to operate the sunroof replacing the switches and smartphone as a key.
- Another feature includes a 10 inches infotainment screen amalgamated with Amazon Alexa.
- Compared to the current model, the 2022 GTI is somewhat lower, wider, and an inch longer.
The prices for this GTI have not yet been announced, however, the car will be in showrooms any time before the end of 2021 as a 2022 model.